Do Not Be Afraid

My brother Walt recently returned from a trip to the Holy Land.  

I was sharing the joy of his experience with a friend and the friend suggested that my brother might also enjoy the book “Jesus” by James J. Martin SJ.  The book is based on Fr. Martin’s own travel experiences in this area.

About two minutes later, the book was on its way to my home via Amazon.

When the book arrived, I flipped through the pages and was so intrigued, I eventually decided to buy a second copy for myself.

In the opening pages Fr. Martin’s travels to Nazareth and shares his reflections on the Annunciation.  You know the story.  But in the book, Fr. Martin provides more historic context and he shares what he imagined as the interactions between Mary and the angel.

Among other details, he focuses on Her fear and the angel’s reassurance.

"Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.”

After reading that chapter, I thought about the fear of my own mother – our parents had lost three babies before my brother and I were born.

I thought of the mothers of our residents.

And I thought of the people who gave birth to Angels’ Place.  By their own admission, they knew nothing about creating a nonprofit and little about running a group of homes. And yet, they were presented with a problem, committed to address it, and here we are.

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.”

Imagine that leap of faith.

Last year, over two thousand people contributed in some way to the care and comfort of our residents – parents and family members, board members and volunteers, donors, employees. 

As we begin our 30th anniversary year, I hope you will find inspiration from the continuing courage and faith of these good souls.

"Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to Your word."

Thanks for all you do.


Popular posts from this blog

God bless us in our Holy Work

Pull the Weeds When There are Few

The People You'll Meet in Heaven